How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had an LLC since 2010 but I lost the paperwork. How

Customer Question

I have had an LLC since 2010 but I lost the paperwork. How do I locate it? I am from Ohio and the name of the LLC is R&D Innovations, LLC.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
The Ohio Secretary of State will have your state filings (so your original registration documents), but to get your Operating Agreement, or similar documents you will need to check with the attorney or firm that helped you organize your LLC).If you cannot do this, you will need to draft a new "Amended" Operating Agreement. I would not advise doing this yourself, please consider hiring an attorney (as you can understand courts frown on simply "starting over" as you feel like it, and if you draft amended articles without making a thorough record you are going to leave your new documents open to attack in the event there is a dispute over your business).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to quit claim my house (I own it) to my LLC. I will probably need the proof that I have an LLC. So can I get the state filings online for Ohio?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You don't necessarily need the documents, but without having your LLC in order, I would be very cautious before moving a valuable asset such as your home from your own possession into the LLC (this should not be done flippantly, and you will need to start reporting taxes for the LLC and ensuring that your LLC's fees are current, so while you can do all this without proper operating agreements in place, I wouldn't advise it).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh, I've been operating as an LLC since 2010. It is a rental. I just thought if I want to quit claim deed it over than I would need the registration docs.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
No, you don't need the docs for that. To execute the Quit Claim, you just need the quit claim deed form itself.But, I would recommend getting your LLC paperwork together sooner rather than later (it is very much easier (and less costly) to do this before there is a problem than dealing with it after an issue arises).