How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117419
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have abanded motor home left in my Rv park in California I

Customer Question

Have abanded motor home left in my Rv park in California I own. Been here 18 mths. Can I legally sell this home by signing a bill of sale? If not please advise me so I can dispose of this ole motor home legaly
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You cannot sign a bill of sale to a motor home you do not own to acquire title. The first thing you have to do to acquire ownership is you need to send a certified letter to the registered owner demanding payment for the time the motor home has been on your property and inform him if he does not pay in 30 days you will begin legal proceedings to take ownership and sell the motor home to pay for rent/storage. If the owner does not respond or does not pay and come remove it, then your next step is file suit in Superior Court against the owner for breach of contract, for not paying rent for the motor home on your property, and to "quiet title" and then ask the court to award you ownership of the vehicle for payment of rent/storage.
The court has to issue an order placing you in ownership and then you have to file that with the DMV to obtain title before you can sell the motor home.
If you sue and cannot serve the owner, then you can ask the court for service by publication and after that time passes you can get a default judgment against the owner if they fail to appear in court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when I bought the RV park the RV was part of the deal. Now I have a renter who would like to buy the RV. How would I go `about getting the proper forms to sell the RV. Would the paperwork from the sale of the RV Park have the information I need or DMV.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You have to go through DMV and you have to find who the registered owner is because only the court can change the ownership and you cannot do it with just signing a bill of sale if title is not in your name. You need the signed title from the registered owner and if you cannot get that, then you need to follow the court process as I explained above to quiet title.

Related Business Law Questions