How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was getting a renovation job done in my store in

Customer Question

Hi, I was getting a renovation job done in my store in Belmont, Ca94402. I got a permit from the city and hired an architect and a licensed contractor. Things had to be done according to the codes set up by the City. On the final inspection date the contractor and the 3 workers did not turn up in the morning for inspection. The inspector found some serious flaws with the work, which would cost thousands of $s. Instead of rectifying the ruined work they suspended the work and 3 of the workers filed cases for recovery of lost wages of appx. 36 hours each amounting to appx. $650.00 each. I have received 3 notices of $4500.00 each after compounding various overtime, penalties etc. The hearing is on 29th July2015 at San Jose. Appreciate your advice. Thanks , Jay XXXXXX cell: XXX XXX XXXX. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seekng for educational purposes only.

If they did not perform proper work, then the contractor is in breach of contract with you and you have a basis to sue him for that breach and cost of all damages and costs of repair. Furthermore, it was the contractor's duty to pay their employees and failure to do so also is a breach of your contract with him and that would be added into your suit against him.

You can file a complaint against him with the state contractor's board. You can also file a civil suit against him in the CA Superior Court for the damages that his negligent work and and breach of contract has caused you to incur.

Those would be your legal options to resolve this matter with the contractor and to get the work properly performed.

Related Business Law Questions