Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I run an auto repair shop. A former employee has been

Customer Question
calling our customers to get...
I run an auto repair shop. A former employee has been calling our customers to get them to come to his new work place. I was wondering if this is illegal in any way and I wonder what can I really do about it. Thanks.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Business Law
7/3/2015
Business Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. A former employee soliciting the former employer’s customers (and even its employees) and competing with one's is not “unlawful” as long as there is no valid and binding non-solicit or non-compete agreement.
HOWEVER, if your employee took a list of your former employer’s customers, that would be illegal because a list of customers is considered a trade secret in the law, and thus valuable property.
Also, the former employee cannot legally contact your customers before he left your employment. If that occurred, that would also be actionable.