Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am about to loan someone in Tanzania US$22,000 to buy a vehicle, to…

Customer Question
I am about to loan...
I am about to loan someone in Tanzania US$22,000 to buy a vehicle, to be repaid monthly over 4 years, to me in Australia. He has no assets but has two friends willing to guarantee the loan, half each, ie. US$11,000. Can you provide me with an appropriate loan agreement? Other provisions would include that the vehicle be properly maintained and fully insured.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
7/1/2015
Business Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
How would you enforce a loan agreement against a resident of Tanzania?
In Australia I would refer the matter to Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal which settles commercial disputes. Simpler and cheaper than a court, parties can represent themselves, no need for lawyers. Not sure whether there is an equivalent in Tanzania, so it might need to be dealt with by me engaging a lawyer to apply to a formal court for an order to pay. I was hoping that you would know.
How would an Australian court have jurisdiction in Tanzania?
No, not an Australian court, I meant engaging a Tanzanian lawyer to apply to a Tanzanian court.
I do not have any Tanzanian forms. So, I will opt out.
I have opted out. No need to reply as it will delay the question being addressed by another JA expert.
Loren, Attorney