Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I just received a letter from the irs from 2008 stating the…

Customer Question
I just received a letter...
I just received a letter from the irs from 2008 stating the s-corp I own but haven't used in years owes the irs money the letter was to the corporation the corporation has no assets and no bank accounts, there is an indemnity clause in the s-corp can the irs come after me as the sole officer and shareholder
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/28/2015
Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw
Hello, my name is***** will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.The only federal tax an S corp can owe is for late filing of a return. The S corp is a pass through entity and its income is passed through to shareholders who report it on their personal returns. As a shareholder, you are not personally liable for the obligations of the corporation and that woulld include any penalty assessment. The indenification clause probably runs from the corporation to you and not vice versa. Regardless you would not owe the tax obligation of the corporation. If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If my answer was particularly helpful you can pay a bonus.
If you have more questions please be sure to let me know.
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney