Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Hiring a foreign software developer. What do I need to know?

Customer Question
I own my own software...

I own my own software consulting business in the US. I want to hire a foreign software developer and pay him by the hour as a contractor. How does this work for a foreign contractor? What are the tax implications? Do I need to file something similar to a 1099 to their country? Am I even allowed to hire them, or do I need some form of license to hire a foreign developer? I really just need a quick bullet list on things I need to know about hiring a foreign contractor. I honestly don't know if this is as easy as transferring money to them via PayPal, or if there is a massive amount of legal paperwork I need to prepare and maintain before I can actually pay them to do work for me.

Thank You,

Nicholas

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 day by:
6/26/2015
Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. You do not need any paperwork in terms of government filings. You need to have a contract with the foreign developer for your own protection so you are clear on what the developer's responsibilities are. You can pay them through paypal. They would be independent contractors and since all the work they do will be overseas, they will be responsible for paying their own taxes locally. They will have no US income. If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney