CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
71563194

Owner of web business, and have very picky client. We agreed

Customer Question

Owner of web business, and have very picky client. We agreed on a price to begin, which was reduced to suit her budget. Began work, and work is completed per her requirements. Through-out 3 months (start Feb - now June) she has come back and forth, so many times with other changes and nit picky items. Her current website is now exactly the same as her new website and she still thinks there are Improvements to be made. If they are minor improvements; I can include within cost. If anything else, they will be charged extra. The work involved with heavy customization FAR exceeds the amount offered originally. She keeps adding new things and did not explain what a section was about. This section alone is taking many hours with heavy customization. When I quoted the original cost of $5,000, reduced to $4,000 to suit her > it was to create 2 NEW websites and something called Projects. The Projects she did not provide me with the info and kept adding things as the months passed. Now she will not pay final amount $1,500 o/s until work is done to her satisfaction. However, her satisfaction is adding new ideas, new changes, and new things.... How can we move forward with this project, to keep them happy > but so I am not spending hours working for free. How do I go back to her and say we really need more money. I suggested moving to a Update hourly cost, and of course she did not like that. There is far more work involved than what I originally anticipated, and all her requirements are now met. She is waiting for something called Projects; however this section along is $10,000 or more! She also keeps viewing the new websites x 2 and keeps going back and forth looking for things to change; when everything is already exactly the same as her current website. We cannot keep going back & forth, it seems she is doing it on a experiement. You change this, let us look at it and if we don't like we change again > we cannot continue like this. More money is needed, but not sure how to ask for that, and everything is being completed - but the original amount has far exceeded the work involved. Now she still wants to make more changes, add new ideas etc. before the project is complete, without paying more. How do I tell her this? I have tried, oh so many times > she still is not getting it. Basically she wants "Everything & More" within one price. This is not how web developers work. The original quote was to create a website, not provide Updates to it. Please help.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer,You can sue your client for breach of contract in small claims court to force her to pay the money owed for services you have provided. Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.Unfortunately, I'm not sure how you can "keep her happy" and still protect yourself from doing work for free - which appears to be her goal here. You can send her an invoice and a 30 day notice to pay or the account will be turned over to your collections agency (there are a lot of collections agencies out there that handle accounts for businesses on a contingency arrangement - they will manage the collections for you and take a percentage if/when you get paid).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please provide any other method. What else would you suggest?

Small claims, collections, and mediation are 3 very good options, I'm not sure what else you would look for. It appears that direct negotiations are already failing, there really aren't a lot of other options out there. You can simply close down the account and ignore your fee (waive the last of the money you are owed if you wish).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your email. How do i best email to the client and say we need to come to an agreement or ask for more money. And tell her that the work far exceeds the amount they agreed to originally. I reduced this cost by 1000.

I cannot give you a specific text to follow here, you can simply send him a letter or email letting him know you need to settle the account.