Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I would like to ask what is the standard equity contract…

Customer Question
Hello, I would like to ask...
I would like to ask what is the standard equity contract for a new member of a startup team. The startup does not have funding yet, and I was granted 15% equity. Therefore, I just received a Common Stock Grant Agreement for 150 shares. I was told this was the standard practice for startup equity agreements. I'd like to make sure that I'm getting the right deal, and that I shouldn't be asking for anything else or in addition such as preferred or restricted stock. I'd also like to get a clearer understanding of what this contract says - what am I entitled to? What are the restrictions in this contract? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of?
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/12/2015
Business Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
First of all, there is no such thing as a 'standard' contract for equity, since absolutely every contract is different in some way. If you wish, I can help review the agreement as an additional service and discuss the contract via Skype so that I can best show you what potential concerns may exist. If not, I can just review the contract itself and write down my thoughts below. Please advise.
Hello,Thank you for your quick response! I've attached the contract here and I'd love to read your thoughts on them.
As this is an additional request, I will first forward you an additional service before I can review it. One moment, please!
Infolawyer, Attorney