J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
64316804

I have an LLC in CA that I am considering converting to a non-profit.

I have an LLC in CA that I am considering converting to a non-profit. My LLC is a small film company dedicated to creating inspiring, educational content. I work closely with another non-profit dance company and plan to create projects that highlight women's issues, Dancing through Parkinsons, Stroke recovery, etc.
I believe, because of the work I do, that I would be in line for grants and well as charitable donations.
How difficult and how expensive is it to proceed that idea and convert from and LLC to a non-profit?
Thank you for your time.
Best,
Elizabeth Gracen
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you today.
It is not difficult to convert to a non-profit but it is technical and requires the proper State and IRS filings to create a non-profit. Here is a general outline provided by Small Business Magazine that my clients have found helpful:
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/difference-between-nonprofit-organization-llc-746.html
In general the IRS will not grant a single member LLC owned by an individual tax exempt status. Therefore, it is likely required to convert an LLC to a Corporation. Again, this may be accomplished but it is a technical endeavor.
The initial filings and on going compliance such as the business operation needing to be ancillary to your business is essential and I would recommend using a local business attorney that routinely assists non-profit organizations. Once the non-profit is given its non-profit status by the State and IRS it is key to not lose the status as all the benefits of a non-profit will be terminated and be subject to penalty and potential tax liability.
I would budget a $1800 to $4000 to properly retain local counsel to complete all necessary forms and to provide assurance a non-profit has been set up appropriate in order to be grant exempt status. Here is a link to the California State Bar Lawyer Referral service that can provide you contact information of a non-profit business lawyer: www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/LawyerReferralServicesLRS.aspx
All my best & encouragement.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.