Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

We have a publishing company and need to release an author

We have a publishing company and need to release an author from her contract. Do you have a source where I can find a template for this sort of contract? We are releasing all rights to her. Do you know if we also need to release the original layout documents at the same time?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This is a fairly simple release for you to write and they are not done by template, but are done from scratch by attorneys or companies. Simply, you can write the contract stating that for due and valuable consideration that all parties acknowledge, you as publisher are releasing the author forever from their contractual obligations to you and are releasing all rights in any intellectual property belonging to her authorship back to her.

You do not need to release the original layout documents at the same time unless you want to do so.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.