How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116814
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I need to establish a legal entity maybe a LLC for

This answer was rated:

I need to establish a legal entity maybe a LLC for importing goods into the US. Goods are coming from Spain so we want to avoid double taxation. Also how does it work when two of the business partners live abroad?
Thank you
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

An LLC can have US or even foreign members. If there are foreign members and money is earned by the US LLC, then the foreign members have to file a non-resident tax return and pay any share of their taxes due on the profits of the LLC.

The LLC is a flow through tax entity unless it selects to be taxed as a corporation. This means at the end of the year, the LLC files a tax return, but pays no taxes and instead issues a K-1 form (like a 1099) to each member and they claim their share of profits or losses on their personal taxes.

Whether or not you use a LLC or C-Corp also depends on how much money you plan on making in revenue. In the C-corp, the foreign members do not have to pay taxes in the US on any income or proceeds they receive from the corporation they would claim the proceeds as income in their own country and pay taxes there. The corporation pays taxes on the total income they make after all deductions and expenses.

Thus, once you determine the anticipated revenue, you can decide which way is best with your local attorney based on the entire structure of your business which the local attorney must review to make a final determination as to which entity is best for you.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions