Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am the president of a 4-unit condo association in Washington

DC. The DC office...
I am the president of a 4-unit condo association in Washington DC. The DC office of tax and revenue is asking for our articles of incorporation. We only have declarations and bylaws. Is one of these an older structure or name for the articles of incorporation?

In short, I need to get some information from the DC office of tax and revenue. They will only give that information to an authorized representative, third party designee, preparer or person(s) having power of attorney.

I am trying to become an authorized representative. To become this, it looks like I have to do the following:

Furthermore, there does not appear to be ANY officers listed on the below mentioned entity. A copy of the Articles of Corporation is required in addition to one of the following:

**Power of Attorney; or
**Letter of Authorization

If a letter of authorization will be submitted, this request needs to be on company letterhead, providing the name, position, address and social security number of the individual to whom will be added; this request needs to be signed by an authorized representative listed on the Articles of Corporation.

Are the bylaws or declarations something that are the same as the Articles of Corporation?

Thanks,
George
10/23/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The condo act allows condo associations to operate as unincorporated organizations, so articles of incorporation are not necessary. The Declarations and Bylaws are what is required in the case of an unincorporated entity and there will need to be a list of board members/officers of the unincorporated entity. There needs to be some document naming the officers/board of directors and they are the authorized representatives of the association.

You need to go to a local DC condo association attorney to make sure you get your board of directors named in accordance with the condo act and your bylaws so that then there are people who are authorized to act on behalf of the association.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney