Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

When a C corp that is set up with two classes of shares (voting/non-voting)

switches to an S corporation...
When a C corp that is set up with two classes of shares (voting/non-voting) switches to an S corporation. Aren't the shares converted to one type with equal status?
10/11/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

An S-Corp can issue both voting and non-voting shares as well. Just the mere conversion of a C-corp to an S corp does not mandate the voting class of stock be merged, that is something that is at the discretion and decision of the owners of the company and the board of directors who govern or manage the shares.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney