How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received court papers that I ame being sued for violations

This answer was rated:

I received court papers that I ame being sued for violations of the American with disabilities act. The building I own has been the same for the past fifty years with no complaints ever being filed. The allegation is that my handicap ramp has a slope of more th 2%. They attorney is looking for $4000. My insurance won't cover this so I'm on my own. What am I able to do? Can they sue me for this?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, they can try to sue you for this and there are some attorneys who do this to try to just extort money from people just enough to make it not worth hiring a lawyer, which you will have to hire to defend the suit. The first thing to do is get the local building inspector out to examine the ramp based on your building age and see whether or not it is within the guidelines for ADA based on the code back at the time when your building was built. If you are found within code you can choose to either engage a lawyer which is required to represent you as you are a business or you can choose to offer them a nuisance settlement of maybe $1000 or $1500 to go away. You can go to court and fight them but general an attorney will cost you at least that amount. Once you settle you can bring the ramp into code which should be minimal to avoid another extortionist coming after you.

These are really your legal choices but if you are being sued you have to decide quick because you have to get an attorney to answer the suit if you are not going to settle to get them to withdraw the suit.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions