How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Back in Sept 2001 my company which was a LLC in the state of

This answer was rated:

Back in Sept 2001 my company which was a LLC in the state of Connecticut went out of business. The town we live and did business as WebGard LLC, Winsted, CT, we paid yearly property taxes for this business.

This morning I find that there is a tax bill that belonged to Webgard LLC, however the town changed the name on the tax bill to my name and my wife's name and it shows as property taxes.

How can they legally do that and do we have any legal recourse? The interest is over 5 times the actual tax bill.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if your LLC went out of business and you owed any back taxes, then the members of the LLC become personally liable for back taxes. This is why they are coming after you personally for those taxes.

There is a 10 year statute of limitations in CT and for the IRS to collect back taxes, but I am afraid there is a 15 year statute of limitations for property taxes, so if this is property taxes they can still pursue the delinquency.

Generally, they will negotiate with the tax payer and agree to waive a good bit of that interest, but legally they can pursue the members owners of the corporation or LLC personally for that money (because the government always get their taxes).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I have been trying to find a way to work out the property tax issue with my town, and unfortunately they will not offer me any breaks at all.


The biggest issue I have is that they have already taken this issue to court and gotten bank executions as well as allowed to do an asset discovery, we have nothing so they have not collected anything. The only reason I know this happened is because my credit report showed a hard credit check from a debt collector, and once I started to investigate who this debt collector was and contacted them I got to this point.


I have not found any way to stop these bank executions so that we can get this issue resolved and move on with our lives, however our town is under a federal investigation and is almost completely broke so maybe that is why they refuse to work with me.


Anyways, thank you for your time



Thank you for your reply.

While the town states they will not negotiate on this, a decent tax attorney would be able to negotiate some relief in most cases and that should be your next step, because taxes are not generally able to be discharged even in bankruptcy. You have some recourse here, it may not be the best you want because of the laws but you should avail yourself of every option you have before giving up.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you