socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have an EIN number for a company that I never started. Is

I have an EIN number for a company that I never started. Is there any use for it? I read that I can open accounts or even that an EIN number is XXXXX form of ID

When you first obtain an EIN, you must tell the IRS your intended use. If you use the EIN for some other purpose, this could in some cases, trigger an unnecessary audit via the IRS computer system. It can also trigger an audit based on the premise that you never filed any tax returns between the date you acquired the EIN and the date that you actually started to use the EIN.

Consequently, it's generally a better idea to contact the IRS and have them close the EIN account, and then open a new EIN account for your new purpose.

Please let me know if I can clarify my answer or provide further assistance.

Hope this helps.