How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118237
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im going through a divorce and have already hired a Forensic

This answer was rated:

I'm going through a divorce and have already hired a Forensic accountant as I believe that my husband ( H ) is hiding & dissipating assets.In 2009, I heard that his girlfriend GF opened a Montessori school and was renting a big building which happens to be part of the property held by the Missionary.There was a well renowned school there from last 20 years ( they were renting it from the Nuns )and that was closed as they were asked to vacate the building.I talked to lady who had rented another part of the campus and she told me that. It's very unusual for the Missionary to have the previous school closed and they would only do so for
some good reason.I'm speculating that my H must have given the Nuns a big sum
as a charitable donation so that his GF could get the property and open her school.
In any case I have a strong conviction that he funded the school in some way but we are not able to figure this out by his paper trail.
Is there any way to get information from the Missionary about this ? ( The school is not non- profit though )
Can we subpoena the nuns?
I see charity given on the tax returns but he is not providing us info about who that was given to ( we file joint tax returns ).
Thank you for your question and for asking for me. I look forward to working with you again.

You would have to subpoena the school records and their bank records. Also, it is likely you would have to subpoena the director of the Missionary to question them about the reasons for the closure. If he gave the money to them, they are supposed to maintain records of all donations as a non-profit so you have to subpoena those records as part of your case to try to prove they received the money.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your answer.I do not have any proof that she is the GF and he of course denies it.Can we still subpoena her or the school records ? On what basis?
Thank you for your response.

No, if you have no proof she is the GF, you will need to get such proof using a private investigator. However, you can subpoena the non-profit on the basis of his charitable donations that he claims on the tax return to try to make the connection to the GF.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes , but the tax returns just show the amount of charity given .He is not providing us who he gave it to all these years. It's just my speculation that he might have given it to the Missionary for her benefit.
Thank you for your response.

That is why you are subpoenaing the Missionary records as part of your right to uncover information you can introduce in court. These cases sometimes are like conducting a police investigation, you are going to have to subpoena the records to try to uncover the trail.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can we subpoena the missionary just on the basis of a speculation / doubt that I have .
Thank you for your response.

Yes, since you have a reasonable belief that is where the money went and a reasonable suspicion it is his GF running the school you would have grounds to seek to uncover that information.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you