Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

70% owner of a business what are my rights as to buying out

Customer Question
the partner...
70% owner of a business what are my rights as to buying out the partner
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/4/2013
Business Lawyer: Law Pro, Attorney replied 4 years ago
Law Pro, Attorney
Hi! My name is Fred and I'll be the attorney assisting you.

First, what state is the corporation incorporated in?

Is there a buy-out provision within the by-laws or is there a shareholder's agreement in place?

Its just a partnership that I sold last year. I sold 33% of my business with all operations still to be run as I see. Its a Tennis retail and export business. Wanting to see if I can buyout if I need to.

Oh, do you have a partnership agreement - it would appear not but I need to ask.

What state is the partnership operating in?

California and I do have an agreement but nothing about buyout

OK, if you don't have a buy-out agreement within the partnership agreement - then you have limited options.

A partnership does not require a written agreement that includes a buy-out provision but it's smart if they do. If there is an agreement, then the partners are free to determine in that agreement their rights, including how and when and on what terms a partner can withdraw from a partnership.

If you do not have a written partnership agreement, then any partner can withdraw at any time under California partnership law. By withdrawing, a partner is entitled to be bought out. The first step is to get an “accounting” which is a financial snapshot. Then, the bought out partner is to be paid for his share.

However, you can't force a partner to relinquish their interest in the partnership - force them out.

Your only options are to come to agreement as to buying them out and if you can't dissolve the partnership, have an accounting, split the assets, and each move on.

Law Pro, Attorney