How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On my D&B report I see UCC Filings for loans to my company

This answer was rated:

On my D&B report I see UCC Filings for loans to my company that were paid off long ago. Can I get these filings removed now that the debts have been paid? If so, how do I do it? Do I go through the UCC? I've reviewed the Information Statement and it appears it must be filed by the Secured Party and not the Debtor. Thanks

Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm the attorney who will be assisting you.

Termination of a UCC-1 financing statement -

The UCC provides that UCC-1 financing statements have an effective duration of five years. This means that if the financing statement is not renewed by the filing of a UCC renewal, the statement lapses and the lien becomes unperfected. This means that the lien may not be recognized if challenged in court by another lienholder or creditor of the small business.


The lender must also file a UCC termination statement if the loan is paid in full. The termination statement gives notice that the lien is no longer effective.



Once your company pays off a secured loan, you should immediately request that the lender terminate its UCC-1 filing. If you fail to ask for a termination, the filing will expire five years from the date of filing. For loans exceeding five years, a lender must file a continuation before the end of the five years to maintain its status as a secured lender.


So, it would appear that the UCC filings are within 5 years. As such, regardless if you paid off the underlying loan - you have to demand that the lender file a termination of the UCC filing.



Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

I wish you the best in the future.

Law Pro and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you