CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
71563194

I have a small manufacturing plant where we refurbish printing

I have a small manufacturing plant where we refurbish printing rubber rollers. We have a general liability insurance for $1MM and we pay around $8k per year from the past 7 years.
Recently one of the customer has faced an issue with the rollers we fixed for him and claiming $9k as damages for downtime+fixing etc., When we redirected all the information to insurance company, they're declining it saying we will not cover. How should I go about it?

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

Customer:

Hi Bill

William B. Esq. :

I am sorry to learn that your insurance company is failing to provide coverage for you in this matter. Usually you can get some assistance from your insurance broker in properly formatting your tender letter to ensure that your claim meets the specific coverage of your policy (but generally, if your insurance has denied, you and you are unable to get them to change their mind with an appeal letter or formal appeal), I would advise retaining an attorney to push them on a "bad faith" claim - insurance carriers that are not willing to cover their insured may need some additional motivation to do so, and the possibility of large financial penalties may do so.

Customer:

Broker didnt help us at all, he said submit all the details to insurance company and it's upto them to cover or not and today we got the answer saying they wouldnt cover. So only option now left is to hire an attorney? What kind of attorneys should i look for?

Customer:

What i would like to know is, if i hire an attorney what are the chances of them covering the claim? I took the insurance for only the reason of them covering what we make if something goes wrong.

William B. Esq. :

There are specialists that handle this kind of work (Insurance coverage attorneys), but for this dollar amount, I would suggest hiring a civil litigation attorney from a small firm or a solo practice (you are probably just asking them to draft "nasty letters" for the most part, until they cover it), but you want someone who is willing to read your policy carefully and see if they can find the particular clause or portion of the policy that they can put this particular claim under for coverage.

William B. Esq. :

This should be covered. (BUT please remember, I have not read your policy, insurance coverage is driven entirely by contract, so I don't want to give you very bad advice by not having the document in front of me).

Customer:

I totally understand it, thanks for answering and one last question, how much would be the attorney charges for a case like this.. roughly

William B. Esq. :

That really varies, given that I don't practice in Florida, I would not want to venture a guess, your best bet for an economic choice is a newer attorney working for themselves, or a small firm. They will have the most flexibility.

Customer:

Thanks!