Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Can I add my mother to my LLC, and allow her to invest all

her funds to the LLC...
Can I add my mother to my LLC, and allow her to invest all her funds to the LLC account, letting her be added as a signer to the account. What are the legalities when investing in a business?
9/3/2013
Richard, Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Yes, she can easily become a member of your LLC. Any funds contributed would not result in any tax-recognition upon the transfer under either Section 721 or Section 351 of the Internal Revenue Code depending upon whether your LLC is being taxed as a partnership or a corporation. To have her admitted, you would need to amend and restate your Operating Agreement for the LLC to spell out the terms and conditions of her ownership in the LLC and to deal with issues including: i) additional contributions, if necessary, ii) her ownership interest; iii) allocation of income and losses, iv) distribution of available cash; v) transfers of ownership interests in the LLC in the event of 3rd party offers, death, divorce, bankruptcy, etc. You would then take the Operating Agreement to your bank and instruct the bank to add your mother as a signatory on the LLC account.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question and which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thanm you for the information. I have one more question for clarification...Could my brother or sister see my mother's name on the LLC if I added as a signatory on the LLC account?

You're welcome. No...that is not public information.
Richard, Attorney
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Thank you also for the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness!
Richard, Attorney