Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

Can a Russian company (SP or LLC) sign a contract directly

Can a Russian company (SP or LLC) sign a contract directly with an American company? Does this company need to be registered in the US?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

There is no law that bars foreign entities from entering into an agreement with one another. The issue is generally jurisdiction, however--if a Russian company has no minimum contacts in the US, the US company may have a hard time pursuing legal options in case of breach, which is why most companies request or require some sort of nexus or link to the US. That, however, is not a legal requirement, but a personal requirement--there is no law that requires the parties to be locally registered.

Good luck (udachi).