How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an ex business partner that blocked access to my e-mail

This answer was rated:

I have an ex business partner that blocked access to my e-mail and the another remanescent partners. In out company contract he was supposed to give the email domain account to the company. Until now we are already three days withous access to oou business e-mails. Can we sue him? He is leaving United States August 28 and we would not like to allow he leaving the country until we solve this problem. What can we do?
Thank you for your question. Pleas permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry that you are in this situation. You named him as an 'ex' business partner. What happened, exactly? Was he bought out, or does he still have some ownership interest in the company? Also, to what country is he going to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response.


He was "fired" from the company three days ago because he never followed the board's decision. He had vesting in the company and he is out with 5% of equity, for the time he worked at the company.

He is going back to Brazil in August 28.

After the board meeting three days ago, he blocked our company emails and changed the password. The email domain is in his personal account and we have in our company contract that he was supposed to give all these data to the company's name and he neved did that.

Thank you for your follow-up, Bruno.

Now I understand, thank you for your explanation. You can indeed file suit against him--you have a legitimate basis to do so on grounds of breaching the fiduciary duty that he would owe the other shareholders (as he is damaging the company for failing to provide access), and potentially for tortious interference with the business interest of the company. All of those are civil claims, not criminal--because they are civil claims, it is not enough to demand that the courts pull his passport and not permit him to leave. So while you can sue him, you cannot keep him in the country. Should you end up filing, try to serve him before he leaves, or your would end up having to do so in Brazil, which may prove difficult.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you