How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  JD degree, business owner
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello my name isXXXXX and back in 2012 I formed

This answer was rated:

Hello my name isXXXXX and back in 2012 I formed an LLC with a former friend of mine. We are no longer in business together only for the fact that he stole alot of money from my company. I went ahead and filed criminal charges against him He then got arrested but was released. My question is can a busines partner be able to remove the other partner from the company without their knowledge? Also can the other partner open a bank account using the company status without the other partners knowledge? If the former partner is a known to be a criminal can he perform business legally in Nevada?This man has an extensive criminal history. I would like to be able to remove him from the company but will I have to get his signature on the forms to file to the Secretary of State knowing he will refuse to cooperate in this manner. What can I do?

dkennedy :

Hello Claudia,

dkennedy :

I would like to help you with this matter. It will depend mostly on what your paperwork says. In other words, what does your operating agreement, or your by-laws say is the procedure for dissolving the company or removing a member? Also, is he a member or the director, or what? In order to form an LLC, you have to file papers at the Sec of State as you well know. But, after that, there re internal rules and regulations set up by the members, organizer, director or board. Those internal rules will explain how to get rid of him. If you don't have any of these written down and you have the authority to do so, set up some by-laws and get him removed. Unless you have internal rules that both of you must sign for any changes to the membership.

dkennedy and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you