Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

My brother was president of a 501 c 3 He passed away in february

this year. In his will...
My brother was president of a 501 c 3 He passed away in february this year. In his will, he willed every thing he had to me. I was allready the secutary of this corporation. I filed a California Corp. doc showing me as President and paid them $20.00. This was last mo. and i havent hears from them yet. Also I was one of the 3 people who started this non profit back in 1999.
8/6/2013
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

My condolences for your loss.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

An officer position in a corporation, profit or non profit, does not pass by probate. You would need to follow the corporation bylaws in filling a vacancy on the board and officers.

Additionally, check the bylaws to see if they require a minimum number of directors. If the bylaws require three you will need to add someone.

With regard to the filing with the state of California, you may want to give them a call or check their website. It can take a month to turn around a filing, but if it were rejected you would have had it returned.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information. I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you. I am here for you.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser): http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Jerry, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
Loren, Attorney