Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I HAD MY ROOF RPLACED BECAUSE OF STORM DAMAGE THE INSURANCE

PAID FOR THE REPLACEMENT. THIS WAS...
I HAD MY ROOF RPLACED BECAUSE OF STORM DAMAGE THE INSURANCE PAID FOR
THE REPLACEMENT. THIS WAS DONE IN 2011 FALL TIME. I STARTED GETTING
LEAKS THIS SUMER WHEN WE HAD THE REALLY BAD DOWN POURS, MY KITCHEN AND
STAIRWAY CEILING IS SHOWING WATER DAMAGE! WHAT IS MINNESOTA LAWS FOR
THE REPLACMENT OF ROOFS AND THE WARRENTY TIME FOR THE COMPANIES LIABILITY? I CANNOT LOCATE THIS COMPANY NOW, I FILED WITH THE BBB TO
TRY TO TRACK THEM DOWN! IF I CAN'T I DON'T REALLY WANT TO GO BACK TO MY
INSURANCE COMPANY AGAIN? WHAT AREMY OPTIONS?
8/2/2013
Thank you for your new question and asking for me. I look forward to working with you again.

I am afraid that the company who did the work is who is liable to you for damages and to make the repairs on breach of their warranty of workmanship. The problem with roofing companies is there are many fly by night operations and if the company you used went out of business, the only recourse you have is going through your insurance to get them to pay for repairs or pay for the repairs out of your pocket.

Your warranty on the roof would be whatever is specified on your contract with the roofer, if not there is a 6 month time (which of course would be likely waived if you prove you used reasonable means to locate them and could not do so) from when you discover the defect to give notice and you have to sue within 2 years of discovery. Of course, if they are out of business that does not help you. You need to check the state contractor licensing board and also the secretary of state's business registrations to see if you can locate the company through either of those.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

THIS COMPANY HELD A TRIPLE A CREDIT RATING. WITH THE

MINNESOTA BBB. IT APEARS THAT YOU CANNOT COUNT ON

THAT RATING. THE CONTRACTOR LICENSING TOLD ME THEY

STILL HAVE A LICENSE. I FILED A COMPLAINT TO BBB, BUT

I DON'T NO HOW FAR THAT WILL GO. I NEED TO DIG UP MY CONTRACT AND SEE IF IT STATES ANYTHING ABOUT LEAKING!

THANKS

Thank you for your response.

If the contractor still has a license, the contractor board should give you their address to send them written notice immediately about the leak and then if they do not respond to you, then you would have to file suit within 2 years of discovery and serve them at the address you get for them from the licensing board. You can additionally file a complaint with the licensing board and they will try to pursue them like the BBB.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney