Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

In the State of Georgia, do you need a contractors license

Customer Question

In the State of Georgia, do you need a contractors license to file and/or execute Final Unconditional Lien Release and/or Contractors Affidavit of Release of Liens. Must the license number appear on the documents?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for using JA! I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : Under the Georgia State Licensing Board Rules, a license from the State Licensing Board for Residential and General Contractors is generally required for or work costing more han $2,500.
Kirk Adams : According to the State Licensing Board, a license is reuquired in all of the following situations:
Kirk Adams : 1. Residential-Basic Contractor (contractor work relative to detached one-family and two-family residences and one-family townhouses not over three stories in height)2. Residential-Light Commercial Contractor (same as residential-basic, and additionally, such contractor work or activity related to multifamily and multiuse light commercial buildings and structures)3. General Contractor (contractor services unlimited as to type of work contracted for, undertaken to perform, bid or proposed upon or otherwise offered to perform, and performed as a contractor, except any work which falls under the licensing requirements of Chapter 14 of this title, which may not be performed by the general contractor unless he or she possess licensure to do such)4. General Contractor Limited Tier (contractor services unlimited as to type of work contracted for, undertaken to perform, bid or proposed upon or otherwise offered to perform, and performed as a contractor, except any work which falls under the licensing requirements of Chapter 14 of this title, which may not be performed by the general contractor unless he or she possess licensure to do such). This license is limited to contract amounts of $500,000 or less.
Kirk Adams : http://sos.georgia.gov/plb/faqs/49%20faqs.htm
Kirk Adams : Thus, most work is going to require a license, and the contractor would need to be licensed in order to issue a release - - because doing work without a license would be illegal.
Kirk Adams : I don't find anything that requires the license number to appear on the documents, but that's likely a reasonable thing to do.