Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Can I obtain a liquor license for my paint and sip studio if

I had a petty theft...
Can I obtain a liquor license for my paint and sip studio if I had a petty theft conviction 22 years ago? I paid a fine and 24 hrs in jail.
7/28/2013
Legalease
Legalease, Attorney

Hello there

-

While a criminal background check is involved in applying for and receiving a liquor license, they are only looking for serious felonies and things that would have to do with alcohol issues (such as DUI's). While most states offer a procedure to seal or expunge older criminal records that are minor, Nebraska does not offer such a procedure and if you would like to get this record erased, you will have to apply for a pardon from the Governors office in Nebraska. Fortunately, they do have a pardon board to handle these requests -- the process can take about a year or a bit longer but it may be worth it just to get this small conviction off of your record and to move on with your life. Here is a link to the Pardon Board website in NE where it explains the process and you can go from there -- http://www.pardons.state.ne.us/content/instruction

-

WHILE I really do not see any problems or roadblocks with this small minor conviction to impede getting a liquor license (particularly since it was so long ago) - I think it might be worthwhile for you to explore the pardon process because something like this is usually pardoned without much difficulty.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating below (we do not receive paychecks). Pressing the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as a trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
This happened in California. Can I pursue this from Nebraska?

Hello again Stacy --

-

If the incident 22 years ago happened in California then you will have to apply to the California courts and use their expungement or sealing procedures in that state in order to seal this record. You should contact the court where the conviction happened and ask them for paperwork for their expungement / sealing procedures. That process is typically a little quicker than a governor's pardon.

-

MARY

Thank you!!!
Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Attorney