How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 7404
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thank you for a very helpful answer to my previous question. My

This answer was rated:

Thank you for a very helpful answer to my previous question.
My new question for you -- if we do file in small claims court is it possible to state the damages claim for more than the max. small claims court amount, knowing (or stating) that any award is limited to the Court's max. amount? I remember reading something about this component, but can't recall the rules, etc.

You can sue for more, but some courts will dismiss the case for lack of jurisdiction rather than permit you to proceed and accept a smaller judgment. You should check with your court clerk on that before filing, and possibly wasting a filing fee and a lot of time.

I hope that this
information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be
compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me
back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this
information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and
procedures. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Your business is



Irwin Law and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you