Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Can you do anything to prevent a disgruntled ex employee from

carrying out threats to ruin...
Can you do anything to prevent a disgruntled ex employee from carrying out threats to ruin your business?
7/27/2013
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

What, specifically, are they threatening to do to ruin your business?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Not specific, it just happened today and he has already posted an inflammatory post on a social media website we use for business that went out to 274 people before we caught it.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

You can sue them for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in this matter.

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:
http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
What kind of attorney would I look for to do a cease and desist letter?
Thank you for following up with me.

A commercial litigation attorney would be helpful.

If you need help finding local counsel, try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Attorney
 Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Debbie, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
Loren, Attorney