Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

In terms of legal text for the drafting of a settlement agreement,

In terms of legal text...

In terms of legal text for the drafting of a settlement agreement, specifically the GENERAL RELEASES section, between parties engaged in litigation --- Do the following paragraphs look legally sufficient (correctly worded) for parties who are corporations...and sufficient for state/federal courts?

WHEREAS.....

NOW, THEREFORE, for good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency is hereby acknowledged, the Parties hereby agree as follows:

A. Mutual Releases.

(1) The Parties, on behalf of themselves, and all persons or entities claiming by, through or under them, and their respective heirs, successors and assigns, hereby fully, completely and finally waive, release, remise, acquit, and forever discharge and covenant not to sue the other Party nor the Parties respective officers, directors, shareholders, trustees, parent companies, sister companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, representatives, and agents with respect to any and all claims, demands, suits, manner of obligation, debt, liability, tort, covenant, contract, or causes of action of any kind whatsoever, at law or in equity, including without limitation, all claims and causes of action arising out of or in any way relating to the Litigation. The Parties warrant and represent that they have not assigned or otherwise transferred any claim or cause of action released by this Agreement.

(2) The Parties acknowledge and agree that these releases are GENERAL RELEASES. The Parties expressly waive and assume the risk of any and all claims for damages which exist as of this date, but which they do not know or suspect to exist, whether through ignorance, oversight, error, negligence, or otherwise, and which, if known, would materially affect his or her or its decision to enter into this Agreement. The Parties expressly acknowledge that this waiver of claims includes any claims for any alleged fraud, deception, concealment, misrepresentation or any other misconduct of any kind in procuring this Agreement. The Parties specifically do not, however, waive or release any claim that may arise for breach of this Agreement.

7/23/2013
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

These paragraphs look like the language found in most release agreements. They are effective for corporations (with the appropriate corporate authority) or individuals, and are valid and enforceable in either state or federal courts.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be
compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me
back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this
information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and
procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business
is appreciated.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney