How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117460
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a jv agreement with someone and it is to open a business

This answer was rated:

I have a jv agreement with someone and it is to open a business together all expenses are to be 50-50.
Her end was to work and run the store. She is not doing that. So Now can I have her pay the full lease 6,000.00 for the year and all the contract work. Since she broke the agreement.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Your claim is for breach of contract, but unless your JV contract states you can make her pay the full lease in the event of breach, you would have to sue her for the breach of the agreement and seek the court to order your damages, which would be the amount of damages you can prove you incurred as a result of her breach of contract.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need a little help on this. So I need to take her to court to get my money back. And prove my loss. Does that mean all my receipts that I have paid. and all the bills that I am to pay. also my lease is for a year so if I have to get out I owe the year. Should she not have to pay this not me.

Thank you for your response.

If you are in this joint venture as individuals, you can sue her without an attorney (if you feel capable) and you would sue her for breach of contract, which entitles you to recover all of the damages her conduct in not abiding by the terms of the contract has caused you.

You need to provide all of the receipts and documentation for the expenses you have incurred and also the lease if her breach has caused you the losses.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If our contract was for on my end construct 4 rooms. It says nothing about finishing them can I now charge her for all of that since the business is not open and I am paying for that?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you can pursue her for all damages that you have incurred, which would include the cost of that construction you incurred.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so if my contract does not say that if someone doesnt hlod up to their end they owe full. Can i still sue her for 100%
Thank you for the response.

Even if your contract does not state it, if the person is in breach of contract then this is part of the damages you are entitled to seek.