Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

How much should I expect to pay to set up a very straightforward

board of advisors for an...
How much should I expect to pay to set up a very straightforward board of advisors for an existing LLC
7/9/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Can you please explain the entire situation with the LLC that you want to set this board of advisors for?

How many advisors are you thinking about?

Will they require any special expertise?

Will the avisors be members or investors in the LLC?

2 of them - they will neither be members nor investors, rather independent advisors.

the LLC itself is a sole proprietorship at this stage active in financial markets

Thank you for your response.

Hiring such advisors depends on their specialty and expertise. Most advisors work either on commission of 5%-25% of the money they make your LLC or they will want a monthly retainer depending on the amount of work they have to do. However, you have not given me any information sufficient to even give you a ballpark figure I am afraid.

Ok, happy to give me details if it helps. So, again the LLC is a sole proprietorship set up in New York and among others licensing out its technology to market participants. I am looking to add two independent advisers, and for that I need a board to be created. They will not be overseeing the day to day management of the entity, rather they will be consulted frequently for expert knowledge (they have a wealth of experience and network in the space). I need to have the role of the advisory board documented in the operating documentation of the existing LLC. This question is quite narrow in scope: what would be a reasonable price range for producing this specific documentation ?

Thank you for your update.

Just to make sure I understand you clearly. Are you simply asking what it would cost you to draw up an operating agreement for having an advisory board for this type of situation?

Yes.

Thank you for clarification.

The cost of setting up such a simple straightforward operating agreement, without numerous terms and conditions would run about $400-$900, depending on the actual attorney used and their level of expertise and whether or not they have a similar agreement they can modify or have to draft one from scratch.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney