Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I have an LLC in the State of Florida that sells software.

I have an LLC in the State of Florida that sells software. I advised a friend (he routinely performs beta testing of my software and gives me constructive ideas) that for any leads he gave me (contact information of individuals that may be interested in buying my software) I would pay him 20% of the sales. A recent contact resulted in a $3000.00 sale. What is the best way to pay him. Do I have to do the SS, income tax withholding or can I issue him a 10-99 at the end of the year?

Thank you,

Vaughn Whitehead
Virtual Technology, LLC [email protected] [email protected] (personal email)
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. This person is not an employee and thus it would not be appropriate to treat him as one. Rather, this is simply compensation to him as an independent contractor and the proper treatment would be to issue a 1099 to the friend in January for any payments made during the preceding calendar year.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/