How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 55608
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked for an llc business that is now closed but before

This answer was rated:

I worked for an llc business that is now closed but before they closed I was was served a small claims court summons at work as a co defendant for advertising expenses incurred by the llc. The llc manager was listed as the first defendant but he was not able to be served. I was only an employee (and now that business is closed no longer even that) and no part of the business ownerhsip or llc. Can I be liable for the business's bills? Do I have to go to this hearing or is there something I can file saying I am not a responisble party and was served in error?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You are not liable for the debts and liabilities of the LLC. So, you have no personal liability for this debt. But, since you are named as a defendant, you do have to take action to avoid having a default judgment issued against you. Initially, you can ask the court to simply dismiss you as a defendant as you are not the proper party because the debt belongs to the LLC. Sometimes a court will not dismiss it at this stage as the court wants to determine the facts to insure that you are not somehow liable. If that's the case, you will want to show up at the hearing and contest it at the hearing. You will prevail in this, but you just want to make sure not to ignore things so they don't get a default judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I ask the court to dismiss me as a defendant? Is there a special form to file ahead of time or do I have to do that at the hearing?

Thanks for following up. Each small claims court system has its own set of forms. If you contact the court clerk for the court in which this suit was filed, the clerk can provide you the proper form upon which to file your request to dismiss.
Richard and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: