How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10645
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I formed a non profit in CA, the articles of incorporation

Customer Question

I formed a non profit in CA, the articles of incorporation were filed in Dec. 2012. We are just starting out, but we have a board of directors, bylaws, articles of incorporation, an EIN, and our 501c3 status is pending. I filed our registration with the CA attorney generals' office, but we don't have confirmation yet. Our website recently went live and we immediately started receiving donations. We are planning a kickoff party/fundraiser in July in LA. Some of our Internet donations and even donations for our silent auction came from out of state. I am confused about if we need to register in other states as a charity if we are collecting donations from people in other states? Our total donations are under $25,000.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 4 years ago.

bizlaw :

Hello, I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. You will need to check the laws of each state from which you receive donations. Most states require registration to solicit donations from persons and organizations within those states. If you have just received one or two isolated donations you may not have to register but you have to check the state's laws. If you have to register in multiple states there is a unified registration form you can use. Here is a link to the form. This link will also link you to a summary of each state's laws so it is a good source. For example, PA exempts various types of non profits and those soliciting less than $25,000.

bizlaw :

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.