BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.
73280834

Is there a law for working from home, when it is considered

Is there a law for working from home, when it is considered commercial activity, when on occasion you have a business phone line forwarded to your home? For an association where you cannot conduct commercial activity, is that considered commercial activity when your home is in the middle of a 3 acre lot?

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

Customer:

What I'm looking for this time is a law number.

Customer:

The issue is in a HOA where you cannot conduct commercial activity. I would think that would mean that you cannot run a car repair facility or a cabinet company where you build cabinets in your garage.

BizIPEsq. :

just so you'll know generally laws are restrictive and not permissive. So generally you can do something unless a law restricts you. There is no state law that restricts you from having a home office. Especially if you do not have employees, customers coming in, manufacturing, storage etc. If it's home office type of activity then state law does not restrict you.

Customer:

The exact term in the restrictions is "No commercial activity or use shall be conducted on or from any lot within the subdivision"

BizIPEsq. :

you are correct in your assumption although a private association may prohibit its members from certain types of activities that it considers to be disruptive

BizIPEsq. :

I would interpret this to mean what you had noted

Customer:

As mentioned, this is a phone that would ring inside my house, within a 3 acre lot. No disruption could occur to anyone.

BizIPEsq. :

I can't imagine that it would pose a problem. In addition they would have no way of knowing what you are doing inside your home since they do not have the permission to enter your home