Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
17897874

I wrote a book and want it published with Xlibris...do you

I wrote a book and want it published with Xlibris...do you have any knowledge in regards XXXXX XXXXX good or bad. I have a contract here and would include it to look over, but...I can't see a upload/attachment button.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Xlibris, a self publishing company, is now owned by AuthorSolutions - the same company that owns AuthorHouse, iUniverse and Trafford. They are the smallest of the 'big 3' self publishing companies, though they are now owned by AuthorSolutions. Xlibris offers self publishing packages within a wide price range - from $299 to $12,999.

I have seen the standard Xlibris contract and I can tell you a couple of things to look out for with Xlibris and any self-publishing company.

Review the contract provision for correction charges. It costs money each time your publisher has to go back into your file and change something. That's standard for every self-publishing outfit around. But, you should be able to resubmit your manuscript to them just before it goes into "layout" or “pre-layout formatting”. Also make sure that you don't get charged for making corrections that were the fault of Xlibris in the first place (called Production Errors). This is unfortunately a common practice amongst less trustworthy self-publishing outfits.

Also, Xlibris recently modified their contract to reflect a more author-friendly position than the previous version. There are still a couple of items to be aware of:

You do not own the Xlibris output files until you've cancelled your contract.

Another concern from the Xlibris contract, is the control they have over what your book looks like.

If you do not intend to sell more than just a few copies of your book yourself, as opposed to retail distribution outlets, then Xlibris may be an excellent choice.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

which are the big 3? If you do not intend to sell more than just a few copies of your book yourself, as opposed to retail distribution outlets, then Xlibris may be an excellent choice. (Yes I don't want to sell them myself. I simply want to write them and have them published and leave the publishers do their own thing.) I paid $500 for two books, so that's a good price...do you know their history in regards XXXXX XXXXX putting it on the market? +-?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the follow up questions.

The following link is a 2013 spreadsheet comparison of the largest self publishing houses: http://online-book-publishing-review.toptenreviews.com/

I do not know of specific history with regard to Xlibris marketing. I do believe they set the price with distribution partners (unless you pay an extra fee to set your own price) and pay the author 10%, or $1.99 per unit.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Thank you, Patrice, for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you with your book.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.