How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Law Your Own Question
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
MShore Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who was a roommate in NYC. The lease holder

This answer was rated:

I have a friend who was a roommate in NYC. The lease holder moved out at the end of the lease but my friend stayed. Con Ed then cut off the power because the bill had not been paid in months (it's now over $2K). Con Ed will not restore the power in my friends name (creating a new account for him) until the previous bill is paid. The landlord is not cooperating because he wants my friend to leave the apt. The landlord is not willing to file eviction proceedings or give my friend a lease. Help?
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is your question what options your friend has? If yes, did your friend actually sign a lease with the landlord or is your friend a holdover tenant without a lease?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no lease. He is a hold over tenant

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

and yes, my question is what options does my friend have to get the power turned on (and he is willing to lawfully pay is own bill) but without paying the 2K deposit

Thank you Darrick, Con Edison can be compelled to initiate service in your friend's name as the prior bill was not in his name, but it could require the landlord to pay the bill to restore service to the property. Because your friend does not have a lease, the landlord does not owe a duty to your friend to rent to him. Your friend should therefore strongly consider finding another apartment. Regrettably, because he is not a legitimate tenant, rights afforded to a legitimate tenant he does not have the benefit of. I'm sorry, I wish the answer was different. Please let me know if this does not answer your question or if you have any follow up questions. If I have answered your questions, please positively rate my answers.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you..


And, he's already spoken to a housing lawyer who's an expert and she said that he does have a legal right to stay in the unit until he's lawfully evicted.. which she states he will likely loose.. until that time he does have a right to be there.


The landlord cannot be forced to cooperate .. got that part..

I wish it was better news too..

Unfortunately that is correct. I'm sorry, I wish I had better news. Please remember to positively rate my answers.
MShore Law and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you