Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am thinking about going into a business deal and I was wondering

about the legal requirements and...
I am thinking about going into a business deal and I was wondering about the legal requirements and insurance.The busisness is a "mobile zip line".It would consist of birthday rentals, camp grounds, and business rentals. I am aware of the safety equipment
needed to a point but does the state have requirements concerning zip-lines? What permits and related documentation would be needed as well to make it legal? I would appreciate any information you could give me relative to theis subject. Thanks!
6/19/2013
Law Pro, Attorney
Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.
My name is ***** ***** I'm going to assist you with your question.
Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.
Is the business incorporated and already operational?
No, a friend and I are have been discussing it and before I make any decisions i wanted to see what all the details were.
OK.
As to "zip line" operations in SC:
CONTACT:
South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulations
P. O. Box 11329
Columbia, SC###-##-####
TELEPHONE:(###) ###-####
FAX:(###) ###-####
STATUTE: S.C. Code of Laws 41-18-10 thru 41-18-150. S.C. Amusement Ride Regulation 71-4000-49 thru 71-4950 Bungee Jumping: 52-19-10 thru 52-19-380
PERMITS AND LICENSES: Permit required. Good for 12 months ending Dec. 31st
INSPECTION: Yearly and unannounced. Operator inspections also.
South Carolina has been discussing regulating zip lines and will likely do it in 2014.
However, in South Carolina there is currently no Zip Line regulation or state oversite. It is your duty as an organization to follow industry standards and maintan compliance as no state entity is required to. You must hire a 3rd party inspector to perform a hands on inspection of your zip line in the State of South Carolina.
As to the business:
First, I would strongly suggest you incorporate the business as an LLC.
Second, although secondary to the incorporating of the business, I would advise that you seek the advice of an insurance broker to properly insure the business and your "amusement ride". If you have alot of personal assets - I would suggest you even get an "umbrella insurance" policy to protect yourself.
That incorporating the business doesn't necessarily completely protect you if there is an accident and that's why you need the insurance. There is such a thing termed "piercing the corporate veil" when someone is injured and the corporation doesn't have adequate capital or insurance to compensate the injured party - then the courts allow the injured person to go after the owners of the corporation.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Law Pro, Attorney
Law Pro, Attorney