How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 2249
Experience:  Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in an LLC with a partner that is non responsive. In order

This answer was rated:

I am in an LLC with a partner that is non responsive. In order to dissolve the LLC I removed myself as the representative with the state and after 30 days the LLC will be terminated by the state for not having a registered rep. the business was pet sitting/dog walking. My non responsive partner has keys for 3 clients. She will not respond to my requests for her to return them. Question is, when the business ends how do I handle the keys issue? Mind you, I am keeping on with the business, just with a new LLC!
Hello! Thank you for your question today. My goal is to provide you with the information you seek.

I am very sorry you are dealing with this situation, not returning the keys is very ridiculous. The first thing you should consider doing is writing a letter certified return receipt requested demanding the return of the keys. By doing this you have evidence if needed that she received notice and refused.

If she still won't return the keys, an option, but the most expensive one is to file a action in court obtaining a court order whereby a judge orders the her to return the keys.

You could notify the clients and suggest they change their locks but this should be at your expense and then sue in small claims for the amount of money you are out of pocket, including loss revenue if you can't service the clients, as a result of the partners immature behavior.

Hire a local attorney to write a persuasive letter that it would be in her best interest to return the keys.

You may also contact the police and inquiry as to whether they would accept a stolen property report from you regarding the keys or if each client would need to file a separate report.

I apologize that this was probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

J. Warren and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have sent 2 registered letters, she will not accept them. I will def. hire an attorney and see if that will motivate her. If not I will for sure alert the clients and let them know they can change their locks at our expense and then go for her in court. I have no issue with this. I just want to ensure I do the right thing here, since she seems to childishly unwilling to do so. Thanks!

Childish at best, XXXXX XXXXX sorry you are dealing with this. You've done the write thing by sending her two registered letters. Good luck!
J. Warren and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you