How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

FOR LUCY Motion for continuance question

This answer was rated:

Question for Lucy . I am a pro se, My wife is also pro-se. There is a motion hearing on attorney fees award and taxation on Tuesday against her. She's living out of state, separately from me for a large part of the year, I am in Miami and she is in CT but she needs urgently surgery and her doctor has prescribed her not to travel. She will file a motion to continue based on that Doctor certificate and her out of state situation, known to the Court ( declaration of address in the docket). Obviously she can't be there at the hearing to be notified verbally by the judge of his decision. So is there anything particular that lawyers typically mention in their motion to continue, like requesting the order to be issued in writing and filed, and what is the technical name of that request so I can let her know ? Note : As far as I am concerned, I am not a party in that motion for attorney fee, even though my wife is a co-defendant, but we assume that this is a OK situation for now.


I will let Lucy know this question nis waiting for her. She will see it when she next reads her email.


I'm really sorry. I know you said you were sending me another question last night, and I was online, but I never found it. I'm not sure what happened.

The judge's decision is entered on the docket, so parties who are not present can call the clerk of the court and check. When a decision is issued in writing, it's automatically mailed to the parties at the address that the clerk has on record.

I'm not aware of a technical name for a request that a written decision be issued, other than just "request for written decision." I can't think of any reason a party can't make that request, especially when out of state for medical reasons.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience: Attorney
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions