J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
64316804

Can a WA state notary legally notarize a business document

Can a WA state notary legally notarize a business document as a true copy?

I've heard conflicting answers on this. This State Dept. document http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86735.pdf would seem to indicate that they can.

Please note these are just business documents, bylaws, member certificates etc. They need to be send to an out-of-state bank that is requesting them for Know-Your-Client requirements. Obviously, sending them originals isn't possible but they'd like to see true copies and want them notarized or certified.
Hello! Thank you for your question today. My goal is to provide you with the information you seek.

Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you might be hoping to hear.

Yes a licensed notary can attest as to a true copy of original. Form in general is:

State of Washington

County of . . . . . . . .

I certify that this is a true and correct copy of a document in the possession of . . . . . . as of this date.

Top of Form

Dated: . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . .

(Signature)

(Seal or stamp)

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Title

My appointment

expires . . . . . . . . . . . .

This is provided for in RCW Chapter 42.44: www.apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=42.44&full=true#42.44.090

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much, that's very helpful. We have a large number of documents that need to be copied and notarized (100+ pages). Must the notary stamp and attest each individual page, or could they create a cover letter saying that each of the enclosed copies is a true copy of the original? This would obviously save the notary a LOT of stamping.

Each document should be attested to but not each page of the document. So the Bylaws would be attested to as a true copy but not each page of the bylaws. Unfortunately, if there are a lot of single page minutes or Memoranda of Action, these each as a document (not each page) would be attested to as certified copies if that is what the bank is requiring.

I apologize that this was probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

All my best & encouragement.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's very helpful actually. I'm glad to hear they would not have to notarize each page but rather each document.

1. Is there a limit to what a notary can charge for notarizing a copy?

2. Can the notary notarize a copy of a document inspected electronically?

e.g. The client sends notary a scan of their documents. Notary makes a copy and notarizes it as a true copy of the document received from the client?

The maximum fee is $10 for each document certified. www.apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=308-30-020

Yes scanned electronic form is acceptable if it is a true copy scan of the original.

Hope this helps.

All my best & encouragement.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. Can you explain this a bit further please?

"Yes scanned electronic form is acceptable if it is a true copy scan of the original."

If the client scanned their own document and sent it to the notary how would the notary know to certify it as a true copy or not?

Sorry I did not explain that clearly. The notary will have you attest to the fact that it is a true certified copy of the original. A scan is treated the same as a copy of the document.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay I think I've got it. Thanks.

You are welcome!