How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31688
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend co-signed for a vehicle. The signer stopped paying

This answer was rated:

My friend co-signed for a vehicle. The signer stopped paying for the vehicle and left the country. My friend the co-signer started taking over the payments. Can my friend transfer the vehicle to her name and then sell the car to pay it off.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

If your friend is not on the title to the vehicle, then your friend cannot transfer the vehicle from her name because she has no authority to do so. Being on the loan is not the same as being on the title.

However, she can turn the vehicle in to the lender and allow them to sell it to pay off balance or most of it. If she doesn't want to keep paying for the vehicle, then turning the vehicle in is her best option.
Roger and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you