Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I repaired a vehicle for a customer. The bill was about $1,000.00

and he paid $700.00. He...
I repaired a vehicle for a customer. The bill was about $1,000.00 and he paid $700.00. He signed an agreement to pay the balance in 4 days. I released the vehicle to the customer.

The time has passed, and it appears that I may have to restort to legal action to collect the balance.

What are my options and the best way to proceed from here?
5/7/2013
Richard, Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. You will want to file a claim against your customer in small claims court. You can do so without a lawyer. This will give you the leverage and collections options you need. Once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney

Does a repairman's lien apply in this case?

Thanks so much for replying! Since you have already released the vehicle, your quickest most direct route to recovery will be the small claims court route.

Never should have released it. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX best..

You're welcome...it's my pleasure to help! And, thanks so much for the kind words!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

Richard, Attorney