Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

how do i secure a lawyer to make sure he is on call whenever

Customer Question
i have issues i need...
how do i secure a lawyer to make sure he is on call whenever i have issues i need to discuss or if i have a suit that needs to be enacted or defended? how does that process work? and what is a fair i would need to pay? i am unclear as to the process to have a "go to" attorney for all my legal needs.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/6/2013
Business Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Attorney replied 4 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Dear JACUSTOMER - Typically an attorney will require a retainer up front to represent you. If you do not have a specific case that you need assistance with then I would assume you could get an attorney to accept a relatively small retainer of say $1000-1500 to be "on call" for any questions you may have. Depending on whether you have a complicated lawsuit or just legal questions the attorney could require a higher retainer to get involved in a case in court. Once a retainer is paid most attorneys work on an hourly basis so it always depends on the amount of work as to what the overall cost of representation may be. The other problem is that few attorneys handle all types of legal matters so it is also possible that your attorney may net be able to handle your case. I would suggest that you retain someone in a full service law firm rather than a sole practitioner so that you would have coverage for all of your legal needs. You can contact your Bar Association for a referral to a law firm in your area. I have included the website for the Bar Association below for your convenience.
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/LawyerReferralServicesLRS.aspx
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney