How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife makes handmade jewelry and wants to sell it in shops

This answer was rated:

my wife makes handmade jewelry and wants to sell it in shops in our area. Does she have to have a retail tax permit and or some kind of a vendor permit? We are in the state of Iowa.

Thanks for your question.

When you say selling in shops, do you mean that she is going to sell the jewelry to the shop owners as stock for their stores?


Is she going to set up kiosks and sell directly to the public?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is planning on doing both. Need to know what to do in both cases.

Thanks rick

First, she needs to register her business for sales tax purposes at:

If she is going to be operating as a sole proprietor under a trade name, she will need to register the trade name with the local county recorder as a DBA.

There are no other state licensing requirements that she must meet unless she plans on having employees.

For local licensing requirements, I am not able to check unless you provide me with your city and county.

TexLaw and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cedar rapids, linn county

Thank you.

She will need to fill out the following applications for permits and licenses:
AS a "transient merchant" at:

She will also need to contact the city to see how to register for the Local Option Sales Tax collected by the city.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,