How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117365
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchase a home in massachusetts in October 2005. It is in

This answer was rated:

I purchase a home in massachusetts in October 2005. It is in a residential zone, but was a business when I bought it as a non-conforming use. Prior to my purchase I was awarded a business license by the town in July, 2005. They never sent a physical license, nor can they produce a copy. I did not renew it as I did not know it expired, nor was I every notified that it would/had expired. I have paid part residential and part commercial property taxes on the property since I bought it. In April 2007 I opened a website to sell some items that had been bought for the store, but because of the expense of renovating the home I was unable to open the physical store. The website has been continuous since 2007. I tried to open the physical store in 2012 and was denied by the zoning enforcement officer stating that the bylaw said that if a non-conforming use was not used for 2 years or more it was no longer valid. I appealed the decision of the zoning enforcement officer to the ZBA. I lost with a 3-2 vote in my favor as it needed a 4-1 vote to win. I am in the process of appealing to Superior court in mass to overturn the ZBA ruling. My question is, the $16,000 in excess business property taxes that I paid, would I be able to recover any of that? I did not ask for an abaitment for any of that money as I thought I was a business. Now that they are saying I was not, how is it legal that they have both, keep my money for being a business and then not letting me open the store saying I was not a business?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you are unable to overturn the zoning board vote in Superior Court, and being charged for commercial zone property taxes would be part of your evidence in your favor, and if the court upholds the board's determination, then you would be entitled to a recalculation of your taxes paid based on commercial and have them paid as residential for that time period. The town cannot have it both ways and tax you as commercial (or partial commercial) and deny you commercial use. Thus, they would have to recalculate your taxes if the Superior Court does not vacate the board ruling.

In your suit to vacate the board ruling, as part of your causes of action and prayer for relief, since you can make alternative claims, you need to state that should the court find the board's vote is proper and you cannot use the property for commercial use, then you are seeking a recalculation of the taxes paid at the commercial rate for property they claim is not available for commercial use. The rules of court allow you to make alternative claims in the same suit and for judicial economy and for your litigation economy (instead of having to file a second suit) you would raise this as an alternative in your suit to vacate the board decision.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can an amendment be made to the suit that is currently pending to include the recalculation of the property tax? the suit was filed june 2012 and we are still waiting for a court date.

Thank you for you response.

If the other party has answered the suit already, you need either their written agreement to modify the complaint or you would have to file a motion for leave to amend the suit in the superior court and get their permission to amend and you would have to attach your proposed amended complaint to your motion.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you