Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

When a company orders a website that is .com or .org - Is .org

Customer Question

When a company orders a website that is .com or .org - Is .org always a non profit or can it be used for a profit company?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,
.

.

There is no legal connection between the type of company (i.e. non-profit or for profit) and the type of website they puchase and host. Although .org sites were initially intented to be for nonprofit entities, there is nothing that says that another type of entity can't use that domain name. It is most commonly used for schools, communities and for-profit entities. But the most commonly used domain name for business purposes by far is .com because the .com is short for "commercial" but it has no legal significance and a nonprofit could just as easily use a .com site.

.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

.